Click on any of the images below to open the Document of the Month gallery. Press ‘Esc’ to exit full screen gallery.
Photographic print of Fr. Ignatius Collins OFM Cap. (1885-1961), an Irish Capuchin priest, and the medals awarded to him for his service as a chaplain during the First World War. Courtesy of the Irish Capuchin Provincial Archives
The Old Chapel, Church Street, c.1860. Photographic print of the old Capuchin Chapel, Church Street, Dublin, built in 1796. This small Chapel consisted of a nave with two short transepts. The main entrance to the Chapel was from Bow Street which was then a busy thoroughfare near Smithfield market. Courtesy of the Irish Capuchin Provincial Archives.
While Merrion Square Park is today enjoyed by countless Dubliners, the park almost became the location of a Catholic Cathedral. Historically open only to the residents of the square, it had been bought in the early 20th century by the Catholic Church and in 1938 it was announced that a new Catholic Cathedral was to be built on the site. However, the project never materialised and the park was eventually handed over to the public in 1974. This 1934 drawing, by L. F. Dowling, shows the proposed Cathedral. Courtesy of the Dublin Diocesan Archives.