Enquiries to: General and Irish Province Archivist
Access: 9.30-13.30; 14.30 – 16.30, Mon-Wed., by prior appointment only.
The Loreto Central and Irish Province Archives contains the records of two administrative bodies; the General Council of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (more commonly known as the Loreto Sisters) and Irish Province of Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established in Dublin in 1821, by Frances Teresa Ball. The collections document the foundation, development and worldwide expansion of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary from 1821 to the present day.
The Loreto Central Archives contains records of the administration of the worldwide Institute from 1821. This collection includes, but is not limited to the minutes of the General Council, minutes of General Congregations and General Chapters, Constitutions, Rescripts and Decrees, and correspondence of the General Superiors.
The Irish Province Archives holds the records of the administration of the Irish Province, records from Irish communities, novitiate records, minutes of the Irish Provincial Council, correspondence of the Irish Provincial, amongst others.
There is an extensive photographic collection, created from the early 20th century onwards. In addition there are records from each of the provinces, India, Canada, Mauritius, Gibraltar, England, Spain, Australia, Africa and Peru.
The Irish Province Archives do not as a rule hold the records from Loreto Schools.
Address: Loreto Central and Irish Province Archives, 55 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2.
Telephone: + 353 1 6620158