Enquiries to: Diocesan Archivist, David Bracken, BA, BD, MesL, MA
Access: By advance appointment only.
The archive constitutes a small but important collection, the bulk of which, in common with most other Irish dioceses, relates to the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
The Black Book of Limerick, dating in part from the fourteenth century, includes transcripts of twelfth century documents relating to the diocese.
Included in the archive are the papers of successive bishops of Limerick beginning with Dr Denis Conway, bishop of Limerick (1779-96) and his successor, Dr John Young (1796-1813).
The surviving record for the greater part of the nineteenth century is disappointing. However the papers of Dr Edward Thomas O’Dwyer (1886-1917) are very complete.
The Limerick Diocesan Archive seeks to preserve these records, making them available to the diocese, its people and to researchers as appropriate.
Address: Limerick Diocesan Centre, St Munchin’s, Corbally, Limerick, V94 925C